Hello everyone. I'm new here and would like to ask your input. Spending time with my niece's boys (9 and 10) and my sister's 16 year-old son, I have noticed they lack certain basic manners. Many children, and even adults, do not know the difference between "May I...." and "Can I...". Unfortunately, as a society, we have let manners slip to the point that a lot of children do not know how to behave in many situations. And, as if school bullies weren't enough, now we have "cyber bullying".

Many children and adults are uncomfortable is new surroundings or circumstances, as they feel they will make a mistake and "look stupid". As a result, they do not attend the wedding, or the dinner, or other occasion to which they have been invited. I know so many people who don't do things for this very reason. As a result, I am considering starting an etiquette school for Ocala and surrounding areas. I have been unable to locate any such schools in Marion County.

So, my question is this: How many parents would be interested in etiquette/manners classes for children? Classes would be set up so you could "mix and match" to fit your needs. Some of the individual classes would be: "Introductions/Greetings/First Impression", "School/Playground/Team Sport Etiquette", "Special and Social Occasions", "Dining Etiquette", "Afternoon Tea" and so on. Classes would be limited to 10 or 12 children per class. I would also consider holding adult classes, if enough interest is shown. Enrollment would be very afforable, with discounts for multiple children from one family. Or, if you have several children, and the whole family would like to enroll for one or more classes, a private session could be arranged.

Classes would be held in the late afternoon (for children) during the school year, with day or evening classes available for adults. Summer sessions would be held during the day. Classes would be divided by age: 8-12, 13-17, 18 and above. Private sessions would be scheduled to suit the clients. Enrollment fees would include all workbooks and supplies needed to complete each class. A "Graduation Dinner" would be provided for those taking the dining courses.

I would greatly appreciate any and all input, interest, ideas and/or questions. Thank you very much for your time.

Tags: Etiquette, manners

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What ere your qualifications to teach these classes?

That is a great idea.  Have you ever read Emily Post's book on etiquette?  We keep it on the coffee table and refer to it when in doubt.  Etiquette is so important.

I like the idea!!  I have twin 18 yr olds and a 10 yr old - all boys.  I would have started them in the classes at a much younger age.  At this point, it will be difficult to get them to go - esp. the 18yr olds.  Please keep us posted if anything becomes of this!!

Well we do have etiquette classes at PAC and I believe the Ocala Civic theater has classes also. I think you would do very well advertising as a etiquette school and then you could go to the private schools offering classes.

Thank you for the question. First and foremost, my upbringing! In my younger years, I modeled and am a graduate of John Casablancas is Tampa. I worked in the hospitality industry (restaurants, catering, etc.) for over 25 years. I also worked in merchandising and entertainment at WDW, where one comes into contact with thousands of people and deals with every possible scenario under the sun! I am well-versed in internet and phone/cell phone etiquette, as well as, writing business letters and emails. I have learned a great deal by traveling in this country, Ireland, England and Scotland. I have also studied on my own, and am confident in my abilities to pass my knowledge on to others. I have a great deal of patience with children and enjoy helping them learn new things.

I hope I have answered your question. If you have any more, please feel free to ask.

canesgirl4ever said:

What ere your qualifications to teach these classes?

The whole idea would be to make it fun as well as educational. No "dry, boring, I'd rather be sleeping" kind of preaching and over-kill. There would be role-playing, various situations for them to figure out, and maybe even a little healthy competition for the older kids.

Kelly Lodzinksi said:

I like the idea!!  I have twin 18 yr olds and a 10 yr old - all boys.  I would have started them in the classes at a much younger age.  At this point, it will be difficult to get them to go - esp. the 18yr olds.  Please keep us posted if anything becomes of this!!

Not knowing to which of Emily Post's books you are referring, I can't say. I do have "Etiquette" and "Guide to Good Manners for Children", as well as, "The Etiquette Book, A Complete Guide to Modern Manners" by Jodi R. R. Smith and "Everyday Etiquette", by Patricia Rossi. I also have a lifetime of experience! More years than I care to admit!!
toomuchmom said:

That is a great idea.  Have you ever read Emily Post's book on etiquette?  We keep it on the coffee table and refer to it when in doubt.  Etiquette is so important.

I had seen something about classes at PAC, but was not aware of any at OCT. I know Madison Street has classes as part of the cirriculum. These classes would be for those people, children or adults, who are not enrolled in the above mentioned schools, or cannot get into the classes at OCT. I know their classes can sometimes be full very early. My intention is not to take away from any classes offered, but to make more options available to more people.

happymom said:

Well we do have etiquette classes at PAC and I believe the Ocala Civic theater has classes also. I think you would do very well advertising as a etiquette school and then you could go to the private schools offering classes.

Sheri Murphy said:

The whole idea would be to make it fun as well as educational. No "dry, boring, I'd rather be sleeping" kind of preaching and over-kill. There would be role-playing, various situations for them to figure out, and maybe even a little healthy competition for the older kids. Who knows, if the 18 year-old boys know there would be young ladies present, that might do the trick. Never hurts for a young man to be able to impress a lovely young lady!
Kelly Lodzinksi said:

I have two boys 13 and 7 and I have try my best to teach them about etiquette. The Emily Post book is really good and covers everything I recommend it for everyone. I would love to know about the classes specially in the summer.

Great idea for a summer camp

Good morning, everyone. It's so nice to be getting your thoughts and ideas. Yes, I would consider child/parent classes. I am aware of some opportunities for classes already available (at PAC and Madison Street), but I do feel there is room for an alternative. I DO NOT wish to take away from the existing classes, but "fill in" the gaps, instead. There are only so many openings each year and too many children to fill them.

It's funny that "Kathyg" says her daughter and friends must say "May I...", as my nephews say "May I..." at my house, but not their own house! If they as "Can I.....", I suddenly go deaf. I politely ask them to repeat themselves until they get it right! I think it's very important that all the adults reinforce proper manners and etiquette, including teachers!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ocalamom Webmaster.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service