I am planning to relocate to Ocala for a job opportunity in late April of this year. It is going to be a big move for me as I have lived in the same town in Georgia all of my 42 yrs. I am a single mom and I have a 10 yr old son that will be making the move with me. I have tried to do some research into the schools in the area but really want some personal feedback from residents in the area. My son is in a really good school system now and needs a good school that will challenge him as he gets bored very easily. I am hoping to put him in the public school system as I don't know if I can afford a private school right off. Also, what are some good areas to rent that are safe and family orientated. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Views: 327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to Ocala, where are you going to be working? That helps in pointing out good places to rent and schools in the area. Will he be going to middle school in the fall? Does your son enjoy activities like sports or band, many of the schools have great sports complexes and band programs.

Welcome!! I moved from Georgia almost four years ago. :) We love it here. I am homeschooling so I can't vouch for the schools but there are several great ones here. If you can tell us what are you are working I am sure they can point you in the right direction here. :) Ocala is a lot bigger than I ever imagined. LOL Again, welcome to Ocala and to Ocala Mom! We are glad to have you here!!

Welcome! Schools are a bit different here than elsewhere I think but there are some really good schools in Ocala. I was not real happy with the public curriculum and could not afford the price of private schooling so I opted for Magnet Schools. There are many in Ocala. Some of them are NH Jones, Madison, Reddick-Collier (my kids attend this one), etc. Maybe that is an option for you. Hope your transition is smooth.

Thanks Theresa! I am going to be working at Ocala Health and Rehab on SE 24th Rd. I really don't know a lot about the area but am planning a trip at the end of next week to try and check some things out. My son actually just turned 10 in March so he will be in the 5th grade in the fall. I just want to make the best effort to get him into a good school where he can continue to grow academically. I appreciate any help or ideas that you may have :)

Theresa said:

Welcome to Ocala, where are you going to be working? That helps in pointing out good places to rent and schools in the area. Will he be going to middle school in the fall? Does your son enjoy activities like sports or band, many of the schools have great sports complexes and band programs.

Thanks Jennifer! It really is a large place compared to what I am use to but that can just be because this is all I have ever known. I am so glad to hear that you love it there. I really just need help being pointed in the right direction. It has been kind of overwhelming! I will be working at Ocala Health and Rehab on SE 24th Rd. I am so glad I happened upon this site :) Thanks in advance for any help!

Jennifer Ryan said:

Welcome!! I moved from Georgia almost four years ago. :) We love it here. I am homeschooling so I can't vouch for the schools but there are several great ones here. If you can tell us what are you are working I am sure they can point you in the right direction here. :) Ocala is a lot bigger than I ever imagined. LOL Again, welcome to Ocala and to Ocala Mom! We are glad to have you here!!

Thanks so much Stephanie! I have been looking at a couple of the Magnet schools but was under the impression that there was a waiting list for most. I am planning a trip there next week and thought I would go and talk to a few of them. I appreciate your help so much!

Stephanie Porterfield said:

Welcome! Schools are a bit different here than elsewhere I think but there are some really good schools in Ocala. I was not real happy with the public curriculum and could not afford the price of private schooling so I opted for Magnet Schools. There are many in Ocala. Some of them are NH Jones, Madison, Reddick-Collier (my kids attend this one), etc. Maybe that is an option for you. Hope your transition is smooth.

That area sounds perfect! I really like that they challenge her extra in class. It keeps their minds engaged and promotes their learning. My son needs that because he does tend to get bored. He is a top reader in his grade here and really loves science and math. I want him to continue to love learning. I appreciate your help so much. I am going to be sure to check this area out when I am down there next week. 

slmomof3 said:

Welcome to Ocala! I happen to be bias to S.W. Ocala it has best of both worlds country setting and within minutes of shopping. Elementary is Shady Hill hands down in my opinion best in Ocala. And depending on which side of 475 you live Belleview Middle and High. My oldest is a freshman. I sent her in 6th grade to private school cause I was scared of public middle and she was misserable. So I sent her to Belleview Middle her 7th grade and she really blossomed. She is an advanced student and the teachers challeged her a little extra in class, they offer advanced math program and although not a huge sports program there is one and she loved every sport. She is now in the Cambridge Aice program in Highschool (AP course) which is very challenging but offers students to graduate with a possible full year of college credit.I have kindegartener and one going into preK and look forward to them going through this school district. Its very country bummkin atmosphere in this area which I really like. Good Luck with your move.

We live on the SW side of town too so I am kind of partial to it as well. I would love to live a tiny bit closer to town but it's really not that bad. The farthest we go is to the civic theater and that is about 20 miles from here. You can get anywhere pretty decently quick enough when you learn the back roads:) Sounds like everyone is offering great advice!!!

Hi Tammy. Has your son been tested for gifted? As this does aid in gettin into NH Jones.. Great school. I have a condo on 24 th rd. My daughter went to south Ocala elementary school. I love the school very much. Their gifted program is wonderful and they have an enrichments program my daughter loves. One of my very best friends is a realtpr very close to your work. Stacy Alpizar she does rentals. 352 812 2807... Good luck

Please check into them. Some of them test in advance for placement so you will need to see what the requirements are for the one you are interested in. Wish you luck!!

Tammy said:

Thanks so much Stephanie! I have been looking at a couple of the Magnet schools but was under the impression that there was a waiting list for most. I am planning a trip there next week and thought I would go and talk to a few of them. I appreciate your help so much!

I am getting lots of great advice from everyone and I sincerely appreciate it! I feel welcome already and I have not even moved yet! Thank you all so much

Jennifer Ryan said:

We live on the SW side of town too so I am kind of partial to it as well. I would love to live a tiny bit closer to town but it's really not that bad. The farthest we go is to the civic theater and that is about 20 miles from here. You can get anywhere pretty decently quick enough when you learn the back roads:) Sounds like everyone is offering great advice!!!

I am going to try and make some phone calls tomorrow! Thanks so much!

Please check into them. Some of them test in advance for placement so you will need to see what the requirements are for the one you are interested in. Wish you luck!!

Tammy said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ocalamom Webmaster.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service