Should Birth Control Be Available Without A Prescription?

The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists think so. They are pushing for birth control to be sold over the counter. They are saying that when the companies are pushed to compete in an open market it would help to drive the costs down. I for one would love that option :) I know for me it is expensive to get it because of the way my insurance runs so having a less expensive way would be awesome. 

What do you think? Would you buy it if it was sold over the counter? Do you think that could cause some issues because women would not have to be screened now by their docs? 

CLICK HERE

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'm on the fence on this. I think it's a great idea, it would cut down on unwanted pregnancies big time, which is always nice, BUT... some people need to be monitored while on it. I go in every nine weeks to my doc. You get people with high blood pressure or other issues and arn't being under a doc's care and real problems can arrise...

but, it's not like there isn't anything out there available... there are condoms, sponges, spermacide foams, etc.. so it's not there isn't any options... imo.  so yes, it would be nice to be able to walk into walgreen's and get bc like pills or whatever you use, but... it does have high risks in doing that.  Plus.... you get people that get depo and don't know if they are giving the shots correctly etc..

I think it would be a good idea. alot of insurance co's don't cover it anyhow (but they'll cover viagra) and it has gotten so darn expensive. So I think it would be a good idea but I do agree with Row's mommy that there are people out there that really do have to be monitored on it for other issues.

I just think there are too many risks associated with taking birth control to make it an OTC option.  I think especially for young girls, they need someone to make sure they understand what they are taking and how to take it, and that it does NOT protect agains STDs.

I taught health for a few years at a local high school and I was amazed at the number of girls who didn't know that birth control did not protect agains STDs.  I know it probably says it on the packaging somewhere, but lets be honest....no body reads that.

I agree that it should be sold without a prescription but it should be behind the counter like some other OTC medication. I use to use Primatine for asthma but it was taken off the shelf and put behind the counter. I had to present ID to purchase it. If a young girl wants to get the birth control she needs to have a parent with her the first time she purchases it and present ID that she is at least 16 years of age. With all the side affects that come with birth control pills I would hate for a 13 year old to end up in the hospital because she did not follow instructions or she has an underlying condition that is affected by the birth control.

That sounds like a good idea! Kind of like they do with the sinus medicines now. They are still considered OTC but you have to show an id to get it. :) 

Theresa said:

I agree that it should be sold without a prescription but it should be behind the counter like some other OTC medication. I use to use Primatine for asthma but it was taken off the shelf and put behind the counter. I had to present ID to purchase it. If a young girl wants to get the birth control she needs to have a parent with her the first time she purchases it and present ID that she is at least 16 years of age. With all the side affects that come with birth control pills I would hate for a 13 year old to end up in the hospital because she did not follow instructions or she has an underlying condition that is affected by the birth control.

I agree and well said!

Jen Ryan said:

That sounds like a good idea! Kind of like they do with the sinus medicines now. They are still considered OTC but you have to show an id to get it. :) 

Theresa said:

I agree that it should be sold without a prescription but it should be behind the counter like some other OTC medication. I use to use Primatine for asthma but it was taken off the shelf and put behind the counter. I had to present ID to purchase it. If a young girl wants to get the birth control she needs to have a parent with her the first time she purchases it and present ID that she is at least 16 years of age. With all the side affects that come with birth control pills I would hate for a 13 year old to end up in the hospital because she did not follow instructions or she has an underlying condition that is affected by the birth control.

I dont agree at all.. There is to much risk.. I have had a family member Die because of birth control i think id does need to be monitor... If we make it over the counter then more people will use that and not condoms and then stds will be more popular.. So i think it is a negative option.. I do think that the prices should come down and be cheeper to get..

Birth control is available over the counter already.  Condoms are always just sitting in the Health section.  Don't need an ID or anything.

This is so very true :)

Charles Leazott said:

Birth control is available over the counter already.  Condoms are always just sitting in the Health section.  Don't need an ID or anything.

I agree that it should be sold over the counter. I think that if it is a younger teen the parent needs to be the one to explain how this works and there is always the pharmacy as well. And if people have health issues or issues with the bc and need monitoring they can continue to go to the doctor as they are already doing. And for the ones that do not need to be monitored then they do not have to go to the doctor to get it and pay a co pay etc they can just purchase it. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ocalamom Webmaster.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service